2CHICDESIGNS

Sharing my thoughts, inspiration, and behind the scene of my designs. Hope you enjoy!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Making A Foxy Brown Statement

Who knew I could rock a dashiki into a super chic look. I remember the first dashiki i made for my son, it was blue. The colors and print were bold and beautiful, but very masculine. I wanted to wear one, but I'm a girly girl.


The dashiki originated in various West African countries bearing different cultural necessities. The name dashiki is derived from the Hausa word 'dan kick, which means shirt. The dashiki is a colorful garment worn by men. It became popular in America during the Civil Rights and Black Power Movement.








I believed that the print was masculine and I was never going to wear one, until I spotted this beauty
in one of my favorite stores Ross. It was hidden in the back rack, where I never look. Yes, this beauty was tucked away and forgotten. There was also a vast array of caftans that reminded me of Trina Turk. This beautiful green dashiki print long dress is made of jersey and fits in all the right places. When I tried it on I felt like Pam Grier in Foxy Brown, Empowered!


I love wearing it with a military jacket, since it has been very cool in this part of the country.
There are so many options and I can't wait to rock this dress all spring and summer Long!





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Celebrating Go Red Day

                                           Yesterday was the kick off day of The American Heart Association Go Red Day to bring awareness of...

Blog Design Created by pipdig